Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello. For the past two weeks, Ive had a headache show up

Hello. For the past two weeks, I've had a headache show up on the left side of my head. Not very painful at all, just always present. My left eye also seems to be "different." Hard to explain, maybe wavy lines to a certain extent? I've had headaches for 11 years, always on the left side, and I've had 2 CT scans done, and most recently, an MRI (Jan. 07) which have turned up nothing. Can you give me your opinion about what might be going on with my vision? I'm a 39-year-old female.

Hello there

can you explain the vision symptoms a bit more? how long do they last? do you get a headache after the visual symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Dr. Stevens,

I've basically had the headache since the middle of March. It's on the back left side of my head and also travels through my left sinus area and sometimes is above my left eye brow. When I lean my head forward & turn it a certain way toward the left, I can really feel the pain in my head & neck...As for the vision, it just seems like my eyes aren't working's hard to explain. I don't have blurry vision, don't have double-vision, just a feeling like I just can't see as clearly as before. The headache & vision issue are together, not separate from one another. I had an eye exam & got glasses a couple of years ago, which I don't wear as frequently as I should.

Thanks again,

Leslie Bird

Have you had a recent eye exam? do you know what your visual acuity is in each eye? describe this a bit more...maybe wavy lines to a certain extent

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The last time I had an eye exam was when I got the glasses, probably in '07, but nothing since then. I don't know what my visual acuity is in each eye...Yes, it is wavy lines to a certain extent.

Thank you.

Hello there

there may be several things going on here. I am pretty sure you may need new glasses, this alone can improve vision, reduce eye fatigue and strain. You should have a dilation and retinal exam to see if there is a reason for seeing waviness. If it is constant, this typically points to macular pathology. If intermittent, it can be a part of a visual migraine. I would also recommend getting a visual field exam to make sure there is no blind spots or reduced sensitivity to your peripheral vision. Without examining you myself, this is what I would recommend as a great starting point, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I've made an appointment with my optometrist to have my prescription checked. I also have an appointment with a physical therapist for my neck, as my MD thinks that's where my headaches might be coming from.
Thanks again,
Good luck Leslie, Regards