Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Eyeglass Dispensing Question

Customer Question

I would like to order a pair of prescription sunglasses but I want to reduce my prescription for a more comfortable result. My prescription is OD: +4.25 -0.25 170, OS: +4.75 -2.00 002 - PD 31/31 - I am 33 years old. With my high level of hyperopia I am not comfortable wearing my full correction lenses while doing most tasks except reading. It's disorienting like I'm wearing a pair of binoculars on my face & it's worst in times like parallel parking - basically unuseable. I want to reduce my correction to a +3.50 for my sunglasses. I realize that this will not give me the clearest vision but I am willing to sacrifice some clarity for the sake of usability.

My question is: Would I benefit from keeping my toric correction in this reduced prescription, or would the astigmatic correction be less beneficial once I've changed the plus power? Should I order OD: +3.50 -0.25 170, OS: +3.50 -2.00 002 or just simply OD: +3.50 OS: +3.50?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

the astigmatic correction should be left in irregardless of where you drop the power to. By the way, the PD seems way too small at 31. Double check that before you order, perhaps it was meant to be 61. Regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Dr Stevens. My eye doctor always writes the PD as xx.x/xx.x - i.e. OD: 31.0 OS: 31.0 - I know most doctors just write PD: 62.0 if they're centered but he's his own man.

I understand, take care