Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

Hi, my mother has posteria uvietis for last few years. The

Customer Question

Hi, my mother has posteria uvietis for last few years. The inflammation died down about 2 years ago for which she was taking medication. After which it was decided to operate on her cataract. A year later her retina has detached and she can only see light and dark and some close up movement. Can the retina be attached as he eye hospital said it's not work the risk or perhaps not prepared to do it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
   Can you give some more information regarding your question-
- has your mother consulted a vitreo-retinal eye specialist for her detached retina?
- when did her retina get detached?
- how is her other eye?
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has already seen a specialist at specialist eye hospital in London, who says the risks are not worth re-attaching due to scarring and it would take about 3 operations.The retina detached about 6 months ago. She still has to take several drops for uvetis daily and is on a small course of steroid tablets.

The left eye is fine. I can't believe that they cannot do anything for the eye.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Let me try to explain you in detail.
When a retina detaches, the intervention in the form of the surgery has to be done as soon as possible. As time goes on, there is fibrosis (reaction) and scarring which makes the surgery difficult, more chances of re-detachment even after surgery and a very poor vision prognosis.
In your mother's case, this is not a plain retinal detachment. She had posterior uveitis, which itself causes inflammatory reaction and an abnormal scarred retina. Such a retina is very fragile. During surgery, there are chances that the retina can get further shredded. Also, there are chances of increased uveitis or inflammation after surgery, thus complicating matters further. Last of all there would be hardly any vision potential left because of the complicated case (i.e. post uveitis) and the fact the detachment is 6 months old.
I an understand your frustration. But a complicated retina detachment surgery is not easy to perform, has more risk of potential complications and in the end the vision might not be worth the number of surgeries.
At present she needs to be always careful about her other eye. She practically has only one eye to rely on. She should get regular eye check ups so that any sign of problems like cataract, uveitis can be picked up fast and treated.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I read that catract surgery can cause detachment. What would have been the more likely cause of the detachment.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
If there is a complication during cataract surgery, then there are chances of a retinal detachment. This is in case there is loss of vitreous from the eye during cataract surgery. In case of retinal detachment after cataract surgery, such cases are treatable by surgery and usually have a reasonable good vision. In your mother's ase, if the cataract surgery was uneventful, then the retinal detachment is mostly due to uveitis.
Regards