Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Recently a black eye appeared for no apparent reason beneath

Customer Question

Recently a "black eye" appeared for no apparent reason beneath my left eye. It didn't hurt, nor was my vision affected. This is the second time this has happened in the past three months. What could be causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Are we talking about black discoloration in the lower eyelid skin? does it look like a bruise? are you taking any medicines and if so please list, Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dr. Stevens and thanks for answering. Yes, a black discoloration on the right side of my lower eyelid, next to my nose that looks like a bruise. I take two blood pressure meds.....Micardia HCT and Dilatizim.

Mary Lou

Hello Mary Lou

The lower eyelid has a very fine network of blood vessels. It is particularly vulnerable to bruising and discoloration mostly due to the fact that the skin here is also very thin, about 1/3 the thickness of other skin in the body. What you experienced typically happens when someone is taking some blood thinners, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, etc. If you are not taking any of these medicines, it may mean your blood pressure is up. Sometimes, it is just a result of minor rubbing while sleeping. Typically, this resolves on its own in a week or so, and is not worrisome or indicative of underlying disease or tumors or anything like that. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'll talk to my own Doctor too, next time I visit him.

Appreciate the help......mary lou

take care Mary Lou, Regards