Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

Ocular Migraine was the diagnosis of the five traffic signal-squared

Ocular Migraine was the diagnosis of the five 'traffic signal-squared off w/one 'signal' showing a graphic design. These 'visions' occur constantly when sitting/standing up, but are
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
   Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- what do you see exactly - haloes?
- do you have any eye strain or headache also?
- kindly specify your age and gender?
- what medicines are you on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. PG:
I see in both eyes, at the same time, four squares , three of them blinking black with white haloes and one square blinking with a paisley type pattern in the middle with white haloe.They occupy about 1/5th of my vision field in each eye, happening constantly when I am upright. They dimish when I recline. I was diagnosed with Ocular Migraine one year ago and I underwent several different tests to determine caused by artery/carotid/vessel blockage with results showing no problems. The CAT scan was done by the new CT machine suggested by the Radiologist to my internal medicine MD>
No headaches, no eyestrain.
I am a 78 year old female.
I receive cortisone injections every three months and have for several years, with no side effects.
Lisinopril 20 mg one a day, Lexapro 10 mg one a day, Actos 15 mg one a day, Tricor 145 mg one a day, and 4 - 8 aspirin a day for knee osteo arthritis.   I have used the aspirin for pain and imflamation for ten years as we tried all NSAIDs etc and nothing else worked. The other RX's were prescribed three years ago and control the conditions as they should.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
Basically you are on medicines for cholesterol lowering, pain, diabetes and depression.
Have you been started on any long term therapy for the ocular migraine, besides the pain killers?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome -

No, no treatment for the ocular migraines. What should swe b e doing?

Thanks again, Joan
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Dear Joan,
        Basically there are two lines of treatment for migraine. One is abortive and the other is preventive. Whenever you start having symptoms of migraine, take a pain killers and rest - this is abortive. In preventive treatment, one has to take medicine everyday irrespective there is pain or not. The course or medicine is for 6-9 months depending on the medicines. This course is ti decrease the frequency and severity of the migraine attacks slowly over time. There are four groups of drugs for this - Beta Blockers (like inderal), Calcium Channel Blockers (verapamil), Anti-Depressants (cymbalat) and Anti-Seizure medications. You need to be evaluated by a Neurologist and to start you on one of the preventive medicines. He might need to slowly escalate the dose or try a combination of two medicines if there is no relief from a single dose therapy.