Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Yesterday, I started experiencing flashing streaks of ightning

Yesterday, I started experiencing flashing streaks of ightning in the corner of my right eye when awake . It comes and goes but today I am getting a blurried reaction moreso. I am extremely nearsighted and have worn glasses since the age of 8. How soon do I need to contact an eye specialist? My work schedule is quite full right now.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

is there any new floaters in the vision? what do you mean blurried reaction ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you get my response?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you get my response?
My first response said that I never had floaters so I am not sure what they are, but when I am inside a thin hazy curtain comes down when I blink but then clears. Also, inside I did not notice the lightning. Now that I am outside in the dark, I see the lightning once in a while. EDoes this help?

Hello there

from what I gather, you have flasing lights and a hazy curtain. The back of the eyeball is full of a gel called vitreous. This gel is intimately attached to the retina and as we age, this gel liquifies, shrinks and pulls away from the retina. The separation of the gel from the retina causes flashes of light to be seen, often off to the side in an arc pattern. If there is a weak spot in your retina, the gel may cause a tear to be formed. Given your extreme nearsightedness, I am concerned you may have a torn retina. You should be examined within 12-24 hours by an ophthalmologist. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stevens

Ophthalmologist