Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I am a 52 year old male who, until recently, had perfect vision.

I am a 52 year old male who, until recently, had perfect vision. My eye doc had given me glasses for reading about a year and half ago. Then, I would only use them for small type or low light conditions, but as of lately, they are mandatory for any reading.
While at work, I find myself putting them on and taking them off constantly.
I also use eye drops 2 to 4 times a day because of redness and glassiness. My physical health is excellent for I still exercise and bike consistently.
     My eyes defy my true health, outlook and “spirit” that I have throughout my day. The question remains then, considering my exuberant health and emotional state, why does my eyes always look dark, bloodshot, tired?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

do you suffer from allergic symptoms? do the eyes run, itch or burn? is there any redness to the eyelids, especially near the lashes? any crusting or dandruff like deposits on the lashes near the bases?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
none
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

none

Given that you have none of the typical symptoms of common red eye causes such as allergic conjunctivits, blepharitis (lid infection), dry eye syndrome, most common reason for someone like yourself to have the symptoms is to suffer from eye strain and fatigue. When you are working, you are putting the glasses on and off because your eyes are having a tough time focusing and you end up fatiguing the eyes. Consider new glasses that you can wear all the time at work and lubricate the eyes with a very soothing artificial tear such as Refresh Celluvisc several times a day. Take breaks during work and let your eyes rest a bit. This will help your eyes feel better and become less red over time, Dr. Stevens