Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My wife may have just splattered a small amount of polyurethane

My wife may have just splattered a small amount of polyurethane in her eye. She's experiencing no symptoms such as burning. Two questions: If this chemical got in her eye, wouldn't there be a burning sensation? And if the answer is "not necessarily", what should she do. She's currently dripping warm water in her eye in the shower.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

hello there

if it went in her eyes, it should be hurting the eye. if it is not hurting, she probably did not get any in there, and if she did, then the tears simply diluted it and washed it away. What she is doing in the shower is adequate, let me know if the eye becomes irritated later, mild redness may be noticed later, not worrisome unless her eye is stinging or burning, Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist