Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I woke up with a stuffy nose and sinues, also my right eye

I woke up with a stuffy nose and sinues, also my right eye had redness and puffiness under the botXXXXX XXXXXd. Is this a viral infection? Should I see a doctor?

Hello there

tell me more about the eye, is it simply lid swelling or is the eye itself red and swollen? how is the vision? is thelid getting swollen shut? any fevers?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It just appears that the lower lid is red and puffy. It is somewhat sore, like a cut though the vision is fine. No, the lid is not getting swollen shut. I don't appear to have a fever, just cold symptoms.
I have not heard anything to suggest a visit to the doctor just yet, I would take it easy, get rest, eat well, and take care of the symptoms and see how you feel in a day or two, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If this is affecting my eye, (swollen, puffy, red) do you think it may be allergies? Or is it just associated with the cold symptoms.

Hello there

I was thinking this was just an upper respiratory infection, how is it feeling today? is it getting any worse, if so describe please...

If it was allergy related, you would have significant itching, sneezing, runny nose versus a cold where you get cough, runny nose, very little if any itching...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do have a cold, but my eyes were so red and puffy, on the eyelid and under the eyelid. It also is itchy. It is a little better today becuase I put a cool compress on the eyes. The cold is in full force though, runny nose, congestion, no cough, definitely a head cold.   

Hello again

most often, if you have a cold and your eye symptoms, its related to the cold rather than allergies. The sinuses are all so interconnected that this is the typical presentation. Regards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would the eyes also be itchy if it is from a cold?
Itching on the surface of the eyes usually is allergic in nature.....my suspicion is you have seasonal allergies which causes your sinuses and nasal passages more susseptible to upper respiratory infection (which is the common cold). So in your current condition something like a over the counter claritin D would be beneficial to help with underlying allergies, and decongestant to help with the stuffy nose, secretions. Besides this, rest and plenty of fluids will help. Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I thought there was something going on w/allergies although I have never had them before. I did buy Alavert. It didn't do much just really dried me up too much. I must also throw in the mix that I am diabetic so I have to be careful what I take.   
You are welcome, hope you get better soon, Regards