Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

A friend of mine has a scratch on his cornea which isnt healing.

A friend of mine has a scratch on his cornea which isn't healing. We think he got the scratch during retina attachment surgery.Doctors have tried many things but scratch isn't healing. He had the retina surgery Dec 23, 09.
Did he have a scleral buckle placed? how old is he? does he have diabetes? did he wear contact lenses before?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No scleral buckle, he's 76, no diabetes but he does have Lukemia which is in remission since Aug 2008. He takes the medicine Glevac. Doesn't wear contacts,

Hello there

At this point, he has a non-healing ulcer. After retinal surgery, the most likely reason for a non-healing ulcer is something we call neurotropic keratopathy. This is a condition where the cornea heals very slowly due to nerves being affected during retinal surgery. He needs to be seen and evaluated by a good cornea specialist. He will need aggressive treatment using antibiotic ointments, addressing of any oil gland stasis, possible use of bandage contact lens. Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so far they have given him antibiotic drops and a ointment, at different times. They sewed his eye lid half way across his eye and that part wear they sewed the lid the cornea scratch has healed. He's had the contact bandage and we have also a patch over his eye. Can you explain oil gland stasis. He has seen a cornea specialist but hasn't seem him while the lid was sewn shut. Thank you for any help you can give us.

it seems the docs are thinking along the same lines......Here are a few more ideas I have....I would test his tear production which should be low.....I would consider restasis (cyclosporine) drops to help make more tears. Next, I would look at the lids, and if the meibomian glands are not draining properly, I would consider oral doxicycline. In fact heat packs being applied now will work almost as good as doxi without the side effects of that pill. This will help stabilize the tear film and hel pwith the dryness. One more thing is using punctal plugs in the lids to maintain the tears on the surface. I hope this helps give you some ideas. Dont be afraid to suggest these when he is visiting he doc, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I' going to try and contact his doctor tomorrow with you ideas. Sandy
Hope it heals soon....Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for all your help. Well after emailing you I got all the medical terms for my friends condition. I started googling and found some very interesting information.
I found this article thru Google. Treatment of neurotrophic keratopathy with nasal dilator strips By the British Journal of Ophthalmology.
We put the dilator strip on his eye to close the lid down and the rest of the scratch healed (in 7 days). If fact after the retina doctor last week on Wed he scheduled him for surgery again as his retina as it was detaching again. The second surgery was done by another doctor and after seeing him today for a post op said it was a success. I hope this article on the dilator strips will help other patients for you.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX glad he is healing well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I forgot to mention we used the sml/med clear dilator strips and trimmed half the ends off and clipped the corners off so they wouldn't poke
thank you...