Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

cataract surgery..My other eye..single vision lens put in for distance

Customer Question

I am 58, a diabetic, female, and needing cataract surgery with lens replacement. I do not like what I read on the web about the restore lens which my Dr. suggested. My other eye had the same procedeure about 6 wks ago with single vision lens put in for distance, I have since found out thaqt the lens placed was 1 step lower than the actual strength I needed. I don't see perfect distance and not well close4 up at all. Do I put monovision in this eye to be done (on Thurs 4-2) or do I go with the multifocal restore lens. I worry about the glare and not being able to change if I don't like it. Please help and advise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

if the current implant is one less than what should have been put in, you dont have perfect distance vision. I would suggest simply getting a monofocal distance lens just like in the one eye that was done. This works well if you dont have to have near vision correction with cataract surgery (most people dont) Then you get bifocals later for reading and perfecting distance vision. You do not have to do monovision or commit to an expensive multifocal implant. By far, most people do monofocal distance implants in both eyes. Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Stevens,

Thank you for your reply. My problem with the same

Can you please retype waht you were going to say, it was cut off...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Stevens, If I put in the same lens, the monovision distance one, as in the eye that has been done then my close up vision will not be good at all. Can't put on makeup with reading glasses on! Which will give me the best,clearest vision, multifocal or monovision for closer up? Distance in the eye that has been done is okey but could be better. What are the problems with multifocal restore lens other than seeing halos at night? I'm so confused because my decision is permanent.
Typically, the multifocal lenses work best when both eyes have multifocal, in fact we mix and match restor and rezoom for best results. Hands down, the best up close vision will be monofocal for close up versus multifocal.....if you were my family member, if the choice was between multifocal and near monofocal, I would recommend monofocal near. Remember, you can always wear a contact to give you good distance vision even in the eye with the monofocal near vision.....Hands down, it is the best choice in my opinion. Your surgeon wont think so since he wont make money on the multifocal....but you asked for my opinion, Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Stevens, Thank you for talking with me about this. Your opinion confirmed the way I was leaning and I am relieved. I appreciate your time. Yea !!!! I feel good about my decision to have monovision for close up. I did not think about being able to wear a contact for distance! The multifocal restore lens made me uneasy. Thank you again!

I am glad you are comfortable with your decision. Sometimes it takes someone with no financial interest to point you in the right direction, this is what I would recommend for a family member given the situation. Hope the surgery goes smoothly, you should be starting your preop zymar or vigamox anytime now....Regards XXXXX