Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My son has a blister that just appeared under his eyelashes

My son has a blister that just appeared under his eyelashes and he says it hurts.What should we do ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.
How old is he? where exactly is it? how big? does it look like a pimple, a red bump or a blister with clear fluid? does he get cold sores?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 15 years of age.It is on the upper eyelid rim on his right eye,it is as small as a pin on the rim of his eye, no redness, appeared 5 min ago and very sore . On a scale from 1-10 a 7 in pain.It looks like a pimple.No Cold sores.No fluid.

I have an idea of what this is, are you able to post a picture of this....there is a little tree icon above and you can use it to post a pic, is this possible?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we can not take a picture it is not very big.
What he has is a blockage oil gland that normally releases oils to the surface of the eye to help lubricate the eye and stabilize the tear film. Anyhow, if it gets bigger, it will be referred to as a hordeolum or stye. Get a heat pack, not a wash cloth (since those cool down fast) and apply it to the lid at least 3 times a day for 5 minutes at a time, and it will go down or open up and drain. It may take 1-2 weeks for it to go away. If it becomes too tender or the lid swells significantly, he may be getting an abcess, and needs to see an eye doctor. Do the heat packs tonight and this hsould help since thsi just came up, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im a swimmer. should i stay out of the pool for a while or what?
No I dont think it will make a difference to go in the water, Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank u very much oh and where are u lockated at?Cool
You are welcome, I am in california, Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

cool us too ventura have a good night thank u very much.

Please press accept so I can get paid for my work, Thanks XXXXX
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist