Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

yesterday the white of my right eye was filled with blood,

yesterday the white of my right eye was filled with blood, I felt the eye pulling during the night, I do wear glasses. its happened before, but this time it's really bad. the eye does not hurt, and probably will take about a week to go back to normal. is this dangerous.   thanks [email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

The bleeding is referred to is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While it can be pretty scary looking, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. The blood will be reabsorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Usually, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, or a mild pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. So to sum it up, this is not a serious condition, I wish you well Dr. Stevens Ophthalmologist