Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I have worn gas perm/hard contact lenses for 40 years (now

I have worn gas perm/hard contact lenses for 40 years (now age 54). Over the past 2 months had increasing dimness in right eye, like a brownish mist. No visualization of a cataract by eye professionals but they decided that's what it must be. Tomography showed distortion in the surface of the right eye adjacent to the lens. Now I have had the contacts out for 48 hours, it seems like it's actually getting better, not such a dense fog! Could it be something like a pseudo-cataract effect that will continue to improve as my eye settles back to its natural contour? I would love to have the option to resume wearing contacts as opposed to having a lens implant which was being recommended. Have you heard of anything like this? Thanks.

Hello there

it is possible for contacts to cause subtle corneal edema or dry spots that can blur the vision but brownish mist is hard to explain away with contact use. The fact that things are improving without the contacts however suggests some corneal pathology that has not been accounted for. My typical approach is to observe for a while to see how things pan out before committing to cataract surgery which may not be necessary yet, Dr. Stevens