Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

i woke up with a red eye last tues. looks like a broken blood

i woke up with a red eye last tues. looks like a broken blood vessel but hasn't gotten any better
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing it seems that you are having a subconjunctval hemorrhage. This is basically bleeding in the white portion of the eye. A subconjunctival hemorrhage is seen in cases of high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes, bleeding disorders or trauma to the eye (like rubbing eyes etc). It can also occur without any cause also. I would advise you to get your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked and get your bleeding and clotting time checked. If all is normal, then there is no need to worry, as I said this bleed can occur without any cause. It usually takes 15 days for it to resolve.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
everything is normal as far as blood pressure and all else. my concern is that it hasn't gotten even a little less red in 7 days. should i wait longer to see if it gets less red? does it usually take this long to change
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
If the bleed is extensive, then it can take longer for the bleed to resolve i.e. 3 weeks also. In the next few days the bleeding should decrease in size. Just observe the size. If it still does not decrease, then you need to see an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation to look for a posterior bleed.