Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My son is doing this extended blinking thing... just started

Customer Question

My son is doing this extended blinking thing... just started about a week or so ago.. he will be 2 years old in 3 months.. what could that be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
   The cause of excessive blinking in case of children is mostly presence of eye allergy or allergic conjunctivitis. This can happen in summers or change of season. The other reason is decrease in vision. Ideally he needs to be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist to look for any need of glasses or anti-allergy eye drops.
In the meantime you can give him cold compresses (applying ice on eye or placing cotton dipped in cold water on eye). Also make sure he washes his hands after playing etc so that he does not rub his eyes with dusty hands. Also you can give him oral anti-histaminics like benadryl and anti-allergy eye drops like zaditor (available OTC).
Regards