Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

my 18 mo. old grandson fell off a chair and landed on his face.

Customer Question

my 18 mo. old grandson fell off a chair and landed on his face. one of his eyes is bloodshot. Is this serious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

this can be serious, he may have simply scracthed his eye but he could have other issues such as a fracture of his eye socket. He should be taken to the doc for an evaluation to be sure, you dont want to risk an eye injury that goes undetected, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
His eye doesn't seem to bother him, and when I looked it isn't as bloodshot as my daughter had me believe. But we will try to get him in to his doctor this afternoon. Thank you.
If it is not bloodshot in a couple of hours, there is no bump, bruising or swelling, and he seems to move his eyes all around, he may not need to go in. The redness could simply be from when he was crying after the fall. I would be more concerned if it was bloodshot a little later and also if he actually has a blood clot on the surface. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX