Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My boyfriend has had a problem with his eye that comes and

Customer Question

My boyfriend has had a problem with his eye that comes and goes. It seems quite a few years ago, he scratched his eye with a copper wire. Every so often it flares up, gets watery and is painful, the muscle hurts, and it hurts to look into the light. He says there is something in it. It usually goes away in a few days, but this has been since last monday. Now he can't open it, and is very painful. I bought some eye flush and it seemed to help for a few days, but now it is worse. Could there be something in his eye that would stay somewhere where it would not bother him for months at a time? Please help, as I am afraid he could lose his eyesight!! I am going to the Doc. with him tomorrow, i just want to know what I am looking at. We have no insurance. I don't know if we should go to an Optometrist or and Opthamologist? Thank you tina
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

It is very very unlikely that there is something in the surface of the eye or eyelids that needs to be removed. With a history of trauma and possible intra-ocular foreign body retention, the most likely thing he has going is something called an iritis. This is an immune system mediated flare-up in the eye and is treated with steroid eye drops and usually resolves in a matter of 1-2 weeks. Lastly, you want to see an ophthalmologist because I suspect an optometrist will end up sending you to one anyways. I wish him well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Stevens. I just googled iritis and it said it can lead to blindness. Should I take him to the ER or will he be ok till tomorrow? Tina
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MY boyfriend says why does it feel like there is something in his eye?

Tomorrow should be fine since this has been going on a week, also most ERs dont have an ophthalmologist in house and cant really diagnose the issue consistently. I wish him well, I would appreciate a follow-up post to let me know what was diagnosed. Dr. Stevens

For your follow up question......I thought of another condition that can mimic what he is having and that is Herpes Simplex Keratitis, which is a viral infection of the cornea that can cause all the symptoms he has. In fact this may be more likely than the iritis. Either way it is treatable and should be seen by an ophthalmologist tomorrow

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, we just got back from and Optometrists office ( which I told him we need to see an Opthamologist, but he made the appt ) and she said there is scar tissue and is referring us to a specialist( the Pacific Eye Institute) She gave him some steroids for the inflammation. I called and they immediately asked about insurance and I said we don't have any and she said to call back in 15 minutes to make an appt. I am worried they are going to suggest surgery. It seems like a huge place where they do Lasik surgeries. She gave us a paper to take with us with her evaluation, but I can't read her notes very well. Maybe you could decifer it for me?
I can try to decipher it....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it says recurrant uveitis or ureitis OD, i think and she dialated his eyes and the bad eye did not dialate at all. It says his vision in the bad eye is 20/80 or 20/800, i can't tell, intra ocular pressure was normal, visual field, confrondecidions????? full obiv???

So it seems my first guess is what he has....uveitis is same as iritis, also known as iridocyclitis. It is the immune related inflammation I referred to in the first post. Confrontational visual fields are full (this is normal), pressure is normal....make sure to use the steroids as directed, this will help in 1-2 days.....I wish him best of luck with this...Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, you don't think we need to see the specialist. Maybe wait a few days and see if the steroids work. The Optometrist said this is scar tissue and will probably never go away. The consultation alone is $200.00 and they will probably recommend surgery. I think they just want to make money! Any thoughts?
The steroids will work but it is important to get to the bottom of the issue. Since you have the note from today, and you are paying out of pocket, you can go anywhere. If you have low income, why not consider going to San Bernardino County hospital (I assume you live in that county) and sign up for low income coverage and get seen there. It will be more cost efficient compared to that private eye clinic. Dr. Stevens
Please press accept so I can get paid for my work, Thanks XXXXX