Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I notices my mothers rt eye becoming red a few days ago.

I notices my mother's rt eye becoming red a few days ago. She says there is no itching, pain, or dryness, and she can see fine. Yesterday when I saw her the eye itself looked swollen to me. Still no pain, vision is fine. But my mother is energyless, which is unusual. She will turn 80 in July. Is her eye in trouble? What should we do? I suggested a saline bath for the eye, I don't know if she has followed through.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello carolina

does this look like a blood clot on the eye or does it look like the eyeball is you understand the difference? Clot starts in one side and stays or can go all around.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The entire eye looks blood shot. I would have thought it was pink eye, except for no itching and the eye itself looking swollen.

Hello there

Because there are no external symptoms, I am concerned that there is something going on in the eye internally. By this I mean that she probably does not have a pink eye or allergies with no symptoms like drainage, ithcing , burning, pain. There are a variety of things that can cause a red eye that start painlessly at first. Just to be sure, get yourself some Refresh Celluvisc or other preservative free artificial tear and put it in her eye every 2 hours today. If it does not help at all, we know she does not simply have dry eye , surface irritation or a scratch. If there is no help at all today, I suggest getting her eyes checked out by an ophthalmologist tomorrow if you can. I just