Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I had retinal reattachment surgery 24 days ago. The surgeon

I had retinal reattachment surgery 24 days ago. The surgeon is satisfied with the outcome, and my progress is considered normal to date. However, my upper eyelid on the operated eye continues to droop, with about 50% of my eye open. During the first two weeks post op, the eyelid showed progress from perhaps 30% open in week one to 50% open at the end of week two. However, progress has stalled, and the lid has not opened more in the past week. What should I expect? What actions can I take? Oh, I should mention that the only medication I am using is the Pred Forte drops 4 times a day. I would appreciate your response. GLW
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
   I am an Ophthalmologist and practice as a vitreo-retinal surgeon.
There can be mild edema of the eyes after a retinal detachment surgery, as it is a major surgery of the eye. The edema slowly resolves over time. Also, an eye speculum is introduced during surgery to keep the eyelids open. Sometimes the muscle of the upper eyelid can get stretched and takes time to recover. As long as you are recovering slowly there is no need to worry. It indicates that there is no permanent damage.
Regards