Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hi, Im a 33 year old male. Ive recently noticed that my left

Hi, I'm a 33 year old male. I've recently noticed that my left eye seems to be lower than my right eye, not necessarily pointing downwards but sits lower in the eye socket as it were. Checking photos taken 4 years ago or so, my eyes appear to be aligned perfectly. Is htis sympton of an eye disease or some other disease?

Hello there

is the eye sitting deeper in the socket or lower in the socket (towards the cheek)....does one eye look smaller than other? any double vision at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it sits lower, towards the cheek. I haven't experienced any double vision problems at all. I've worn glasses for 15 years or so. Over those years I've gone from 0.75 to 3.50. I do spend a lot of time in front of computer screeens and sometimes get pain behind my eyes, especially in the mornings, but this happens perhaps once a fornight or so. Interestingly, if I drink alcohol I do get exactly the same sort of headache, just behind my eyes.

Hello there

This can occur after trauma, and If you have not suffered blunt trauma, this may be a manifestation of thyroid disorders. Without really seeing it, it is hard to assess whether you need thyroid testing, you should have it checked out. Even with thyroid disorders it is very very uncommon for the eye to sit lower in the eye socket. I think you should have this looked at by an eye doctor. Tell your primary doc so he can send a referral for you to see an ophthalmologist, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've taken a picture, opening my eyes, in case it helps. I would appreciate it if you have any further comments. I will consult my GP and see what he says. Many thanks.

I see exactly what you mean, however I am pretty certain there is absolutely nothing wrong or concerning. It is just the way your lids are situated, it could simply be from something like sleeping on one side more than the other. I think you just happen to be very observant. If you look carefully MANY people have similar amount of asymmetry. I hope this is reassuring, Dr. Stevens