Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello, I have been wearing a contact for the last week that

Hello, I have been wearing a contact for the last week that was several years old. I slept in them as well, and yesterday I woke up with pain in my eye. I took the contact out, but my eye has been very red, sensitive to light, painful to move, and swollen. It won't stop tearing up as well. Do I need to have a special eye drop, or is there something I can get at the drug store? (And yes, I realize it was a very stupid thing to do.) =)

Hello there

I am mostly concerned that you may have developed a corneal ulcer. It is the most common thing that occurs given your scenario. It requires potent antibiotic eyedrops and you need to be evaluated in an eye clinic or urgent care today for treatment. This needs prompt attention, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX Ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You don't think it could just be pink eye? I don't have insurance....
Very unlikely given what you tell me......