Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

From 2002 i had been wearing a lined bifocal and had no problems.

From 2002 i had been wearing a lined bifocal and had no problems. My glasses broke and thats when i decided to get new glasses. At the first exam i explained to them what i do for a living so that they could get a idea on what kind of glasses i would need. I do data entry & i move my head back & forth. When i went in to pick them up they fitted them and by looking straight ahead they seemed fine. After a few days at work i called them to ask what was wrong with the glasses and they told me that they were progressive and i had no idea what this meant, the nurse told me that i would have to move my head back & forth to get them to focus. When i walked i felt like i was drunk. Bought the glasses 7/30 started getting headaches in Aug. and thereafter. My coworker knew how much trouble i was having & when she went in she asked. She is the one that explained to me what a progressive lens was My current prescription from 3/09 is a lined bifocal in my right eye only
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
   Usually patients using bifocal lined glasses have no problem in adjusting to progressive lenses. A small percentage of patients are not able to adjust to the progressive lens as compared to the lined bifocals. In lined bifocals, there is a demarcation line between the near vision and far vision glasses. In progressive lens there is no demarcation line, but a zone in which the power changes slowly to prevent confusion, which patients usually experienced while looking through the normal lined bifocals.
The important point in progressive lens is that the size of the lens should be larger than the lined bifocals. This is because due to the zone of change in power, sometimes the appropriate area of far and near vision is not provided. So, ensure that the size of the lens is adequate. Also the zone of the change in progressive lens should be very accurate. The center of eye should be marked very accurate in the progressive lens. If all these precautions are not taken, then there is eye strain and headache with vision problems to the patient.
I would advise you to get your spectacles checked to see whether they have been made properly. If they are all right and still your symptoms persist, then you might need to shift back to lined bifocals, as you might not be adjusting to progressive lenses.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Like i said i have been experiencing facial pain around the eyes and upper forehead for approx 7 months after getting the new progressive glasses. I have had this treated for sinus problems not realizing it could be the glasses. After having a CT and finding out my sinuses were fine i had to try some different avenues. Went in for a fitting first of March and they wanted me to come back for a eye exam to see if there were any changes to my eyes so thats when i went to a different eye doctor for a second opinion who gave me a slight lower prescription. I guess my question is, is it my fault that i did not go back to the eye doctor to get the glasses checked sooner even though i did not think it was the glasses? Or was it the eye doctor's responsibility to listen to my job description and history before giving me a prescription and also explaining to me the types of lens there are and what would be best for me instead of going ahead and just prescribing what he thinks i need and never explaining what a progressive lens is? I have a pair of 800 dollar glasses that i can not use plus the doctor bills, the hospital bills, getting in trouble at work for missing etc.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
It was definitely not your fault. You did exactly as your doctor directed you to do. In fact your Ophthalmologist also gave you progressive lens keeping your comfort in mind. Keeping your work profile in mind, in fact progressive lens would have been better for you. As I said before most of the people adapt well to progressive glasses. Very few are not comfortable with them. Unfortunately, you fall in the second category. I agree that the doctor should have explained you first what a progressive lens is and then prescribed them for you.
Your frustration is understandable. You spent a good amount on the glasses and landed up with severe eye strain and headache. But unfortunately you are not able to adapt to them. You might have to revert back to the line bifocal lenses.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)