Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I woke up with my right eye very red. My husband asked what

I woke up with my right eye very red. My husband asked what I did. I didn't even realize it. I have no pain, blurriness or itching. Just bright red. What can I do for it? Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing it seems that you are having a subconjunctval hemorrhage. This is basically bleeding in the white portion of the eye. A subconjunctival hemorrhage is seen in cases of high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes, bleeding disorders or trauma to the eye (like rubbing eyes etc). It can also occur without any cause also. I would advise you to get your blood pressure and blood sugar levels checked and get your bleeding and clotting time checked. If all is normal, then there is no need to worry, as I said this bleed can occur without any cause. It usually takes 15 days for it to resolve.