Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Hi, I wear contact lenses daily... My eye started getting really

Hi, I wear contact lenses daily... My eye started getting really red and swollen. I was tearing up alot (clear) and along the way my nose started leaking too :s Anyways, It hurts to be outside for a little while but not the whole time, just at first. doesnt hurt to look into a light. My eye doesnt feel as bad today still red, still a bit sensitive but not as swollen, feels better to have my lens in rather than using my glasses... But my vision is almost a bit foggy. What could this be?? I have eye drops here at home called Fucithalmic 1% (european) but they were last used in july 2008. can i still use them, should i use them?? They expire jan. 2010
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
I am an Ophthalmologist and would like some more information regarding your question-
- kindly specify your age and gender.
- how old are your contact lenses?
- do you change the solution in the contact lens case daily?
- how frequently do you clean the case and deprotinize the contact lenses?
- has this problem occurred for the first time?
If you had used the eye drops last year, you cannot use them now. Any eye drops that have been opened should be discarded after a month ideally.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im 23 and female... my lenses are dailies but use them much too long... :( they are one time use lens.. this has occured before and went within a few days.... I have to say though, im MUCH better today then yesterday.. Not as red, swollen, doesnt hurt like it did.. the only now is that the reddness is still there ( much less though more pinkish.) and the vision is a bit foggy.. still see just as sharp as I did before.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
You might be having contact lens induced minor abrasion of the cornea. I would advise you to change the pair of contact lens that you are using. Also use lubricating eye drops like refresh tears/optive/systane (all are available over the counter). It would be better if you remove the contact lens for 24 hours and use the eye drops 5-6 times a day. This will help in relieving your symptoms.
Also try not to use the same pair of contact lens for more than the required time.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the lens out that i had in.. and let my eyes rest for atleast 24 hours... ive put new lens in and my eyes feel much better with them... But its nothing to be alarmed about is it??? I personally think they are much much better :) And ofcourse I will get new lens. Is it ok to have my lens in as long as they are new?? and perhaps take them out as I am supposed to do.. . The fogging of the vision is ok?? I mean, what do I need to watch out for?? There is no pain when I look around.. A bit sore when I push on my eye, but as I said earlier. NOTHING like yesterday.. So much better...
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
The fogging of vision will also improve slowly in the next 12-24 hours once you start using lubricating eye drops. But if the symptoms persist then you would need to consult an Ophthalmologist to look for any corneal abrasion.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought visidone gel or something like that.. It says that side effects could be some disturbances of vision.. Isnt that with all?? And arent those drops ok??