Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

my dad has macular degeneration dry eyes,can i give him one

Customer Question

my dad has macular degeneration dry eyes,can i give him one of mine with surgery and can he see then
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

are you suggesting you want to give him your eyeball? What is his visual acuity? What is he using for dry eyes? What is his age?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my dad is 66.all eye doctors say that there is nothing that can be done,i would do anything to make him see,as he loves outdoors but can not see but cloudiness now.

Hello there

it is very considerate to offer your eye to your dad, however we are unable to use it in that manner. I would suggest letting the retinal specialist know you are willing to participate in any experimental studies they may have. Make sure that if he has a significant cataract, it should be removed. he can also benefit from a low vision refraction which can help maximize his vision potential. Be sure to have him use artificial tears to help with his dry eyes as this may also improve his vision a bit, I hope this is helpful, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my dad is the most inmportant in my life,he loves to hunt and his eye sight took that away from him.we live in orangeburg sc.where is the best place to go for his vision loss.if you had this problem with your family,where would you recommend.

If he has seen a retinal specialist, I would simply see another local retinal specialist for a second opinion, just to be sure they did not feel treatment could be of some benefit. There are centers of excellence such as Wilmer Eye institute in Baltimore or Bascom Palmer Eye institute in Florida however, I would hate for you to go to one of these just to hear is nothing to be done. A second opinion is the way to go at this point, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I thank you for your time with my dads vision.There is nothing that can be done to correct it.I wasnt sure a about a eye transplant but you answered that.I will give him the artificial tear drops as you suggested as he does not take them now.we will take him to another doctor but i know the outcome.get to work and figure it out,just kiddin

I hope the second opinion gives him some hope in treatment, good luck, Dr. Stevens

Please press ACCEPT if your question has been answered