Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have been experiencing temporay partial loss of my vision

I have been experiencing temporay partial loss of my vision lasting about 30 minutes. I see a big bright image like the letter C moving from my right to my left until it disappears and leaving me with a headache. I have had eye check up and the Dr. didn't find anything, but I keep doing this and sometimes more than once in a week, Can you advise as this is scaring me.

Hello there

I see patients with similar symptoms quite often. Folks often describe a bright or colorful pattern (sometimes wavy or zigzag in nature) and it can be in one eye and moves to the other, sometimes affecting the central vision. Sometimes there is a headache following this as well. This is called an ophthalmic migraine. The name should not be confused with a migraine headache which is altogether different. Think of it this way:

headache itself can be a migraine - usually has no visual symptoms

headache with an aura is called a classic migraine (headache with some peculiar visual warning / episode prior to headache)

only the visual symptoms - no headache = ophthalmic migraine (also known as ocular migraine).

Ophthalmic migraine is a visual phenomenon and is benign and requires no treatment, except for more rest, less stress, etc. Sometimes caffeine can help shorten the episode. If it occurs often, see your doc again for a recheck and consideration of prescription. I hope this helps answer your question, if not, just let me know, Regards

Dr. Stevens