Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

concerned however that the skin underneath her eyes is red

My daughter is 3 1/2. We live in Florida and right now the pollen count is very high. I am concerned however that the skin underneath her eyes is red , puffy and very dry. The only other symptom is diahrea. Could there be something more going on than just allergies? She has never been diagnosed with allergies before. She was treated for conjuctivitis about three weeks ago, but this looks totally different. She says her eyes do not hurt.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

how long has she been having diarrhea? What were her eye symptoms before and how do they compare now? Does she have a runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, discharge?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Diarrhea for only one day. Her eyes have been like this since the 16th of March. The eye symptoms for conjuctivitis were very crusty eyes, and red eyeballs. She has none of this now. No runny nose, no discharge, she is not constantly scratching at her eyes, but i do thnk they are bothering her.

Hello concerned mommy 1968

I tend to think the diarrhea is probably viral gastroenteritis, stomach flu, and it will take its course which is usually very brief, couple of days. If this is correct, be careful, this is very contagious to everyone in the house. Keep her hydrated and rested. As for the eyes, she may have one of two things now. If she is having some sneezing, runny nose, itching, then she probably has some allergies and she can benefit from an eyedrop called Zaditor, it is an anti allergy medicine safe for children and over the counter. It can be used 2 times daily and should help with allergic symptoms. In addition she can be given loratadine to help her sneezing, runny nose. Other thing she may be having is some residual irritation from her bout of pink eye. This would be causing discomfort without the sneezing, runny nose etc. For this I recommend the use of lubricating eye drops like Refresh Liquigel which will help her eyes feel better. I wish her well, and do let me know if you have any other questions, Dr. Stevens