Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

past two weeks with my right eye, I began seeing a

I have noticed within the past two weeks with my right eye, I began seeing a circle within a circle, along with yellow splashes of color. Now the circle has become larger, sometimes huge encompassing the entire right eye vision. What is going on? I am 57 years old, and I have noticed also my vision has become more and more dependent upon readers. I am in front of the computer a lot and I do read quite a bit.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

the dependency on readers is normal, not to worry, please tell me more about the yellow splashes of color, are we talking brief episodes of flashing light or are we talking more about kaleidoscope like yellow color? How often do you get it? How is the vision?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is more like kaleidoscope yellow, now I have noticed the colors has changed to a blue.

Hello there

I see patients with similar symptoms quite often. Folks often describe a bright or colorful pattern (sometimes wavy or zigzag in nature) and it can be in one eye and moves to the other, sometimes affecting the central vision. Sometimes there is a headache following this as well. This is called an ophthalmic migraine. The name should not be confused with a migraine headache which is altogether different. Think of it this way:

headache itself can be a migraine - usually has no visual symptoms

headache with an aura is called a classic migraine (headache with some weird visual warning / episode prior to headache)

only peculiar visual symptoms - no headache = ophthalmic migraine (also known as ocular migraine).

Ophthalmic migraine is a visual phenomenon and is benign and requires no treatment, except for more rest, less stress, etc. Sometimes caffeine can help shorten the episode. I would suggest that you have your eyes examined just to be sure there is no retinal pathology. I hope this helps answer your question, if not, just let me know, Regards

Dr. Stevens