Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

my seven year old daughter has hypertropia and we have gone

my seven year old daughter has hypertropia and we have gone to vision theray.our therapist says her accomadation is 100% and her acuity is 20/20 and she does not know if vision therapy will help her anymore. is there any other course of action we should take?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

hypertropia is when one eye is higher than the other, is this what she has?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
her right eye intermittently turns up and out(exotropia) and our vision therapist is afraid to work with her anymore because she thinks her vision will be double.I don"t know if we should see a neurologist or another therapist?

Hello there

has she been evaluated by a pediatric ophthalmologist since her hypertropia developed? What is the source of the hypertropia, meaning why does she have it? when does she get the hypertropia? is it when one eye is covered?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she has been evaluated by an ophthalmologist,but the opthalmologist has never seen a hypertropia before and we don't know why she has it. She exibits the hypertropia at near with one eye covered
OK, it sounds like she has something we refer to as a DVD, dissociative vertical deviation. It is a deviation of an eye when one eye is covered. I am not surprised your ophthalmologist has never seen it as it is something a pediatric ophthalmologist usually sees and is common in kids, and not adults. With that said, you need to have a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist for proper evaluation. As far as the therapy is concerned, it is unlikely to affect the deviation of the eye. I wish her well, Dr. Stevens