Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I am considering buying a 24 iMAC but am concerned about eye

I am considering buying a 24" iMAC but am concerned about eye strain. While some users say that the large bright screen is great, others say they get headaches and eye strain. The iMAC is about 22" wideX 20.5"tall, of which 8" is the foot. so pure screen size is 22x13, 8" off the desk. Can an ophthalmologist or eye expert weigh in on whether 24" is too big, or what is the right distance from it so that the eyes will not hurt? Or, is it better to go with a 20" for the human eye? Many thanks.
As an ophthalmologist, I can chime in. Larger screens and hence slightly larger fonts can help reduce eye strain actually. The ideal distance is probably about 20-24 inches away from the screen. You also want to limit your continuous time in front of the screen to perhaps 60 minutes at a time. If you are having difficulty reading fine print in the paper, you should also consider using reading glasses with a very mild prescription while on the computer, perhaps a +1.00 or + 1.25. If you have no problem with up close fine print, you dont need any glasses at all. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. How does brightness affect eye strain? The larger screen is also a lot brighter. Thanks.
Brightness is good, it is dim lighting that causes more eye strain. There really is no screen that is going to be too bright. More reason to go bigger in my opinion. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again. I am still puzzled as to why so many people on iMAC forums report eye strain and headaches with the 24" iMAC. Any ideas?
I tend to think that those folks simply figure since the screen is so large they do not need to use any glasses to see it which is not the case. No matter how big the screen is, you are still trying to accomodate (focus up close) on the screen. I suspect that is the issue, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX