Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
A new question is answered every 9 seconds to swab an eye ie to find infection etc..back

have had low level discomfort in eyes for over 2 years - sometimes seems like conjunctivities but emission is very minimal - mainly have very watery eyes and slightly red eyes particulary sore in last week or so ; hospital doctor said wear glasses for pc work and driving though said I had pretty good vision in the main but did not comment on eye 'symptoms' . Can one get a doctor to swab an eye ie to find infection etc. Getting very noticeable but am not muhc of a doctor goer and putting off going back. Do not knowingly suffer form any allergies eg hay fever.

Have drops like 'opticrum' permanently in my bag to try and assuage - have tried anti biotic drops and it never really goes away.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what kind of discharge do the eyes have? are they swollen or stuck shut in the mornings? When is the discomfort worse, in the morning or latert in the day? How is the vision?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi - Thanks for coming back to me.

Mornings the discharge is green and the eyes look a little swollen - they feel gravelly inside and a bit sticky on the lids.Nothing like the level my daughter had when she had conjunctivitis as a toddler though but a bit similar. This mornng they started to stream tears all down my face on waking. they are worse in the morning in terms of discharge and wetness though they continue to tear up in the day when I am carrying out normal activities. During the day the discharge is then less in quantity and seems more like a beige colour. I am a female agee 44.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ps vision ok but sometimes feel looking through frosted glass or layer of film.
Thanks for getting me the info. I think that your eyes have a condition called blepharitis. This is a common cause of morning irritation because it is thought that the debris on the lashes is rubbed into the surface of the eye during sleep (pillow may play a role). As a result, eyes are irritated upon awakening. In contrast, people with dry eyes feel great in the morning and bad at the end of the day.

Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Typically an eye culture is not necessary as it is usually staphylococcal overgrowth. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps losen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

Dr. Stevens