Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

Yesterday, suddenly, I had cloudiness in the top portion of

Yesterday, suddenly, I had cloudiness in the top portion of my right eye. It is like a dark cloud over the top of my right eye. It came on very suddenly. Yesterday I was in Madeira Beach, FL. Today I am traveling in Georgia, on my way home to Winnipeg, Canada. What could cause this? What should I do? - Casey Rocznik
   I am an Ophthalmologist.
I would like some more information regarding your question-
- what is your age?
- kindly specify your gender?
- do you wear spectacles, if yes, kindly specify the power.
- is the cloudiness painless?
- is the cloudiness still there?
- are you on any medicines?
- any previous history of trauma to this eye?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 65 year old male. I have had cataract surgery with soft contact lens implants in both eyes - This was about 2 or 3 years ago. I have asthma and take Advair and ventolin. I wear non prescription reading glasses and sun glasses. I have recently been in the sun at the beach in Florida. The cloudiness is still there and it is painless. I was hit in this eye by a badminton birdie 33 years ago and was under doctor's care for this. There were no problems after the injury healed. It is like there is a film over the top half of my eye now. It is more noticeable in a darker room. Please advise.
Thanks for the information.
The most common cause of painless decrease in vision in specially in a part of eye is retinal detachment. The retina or the posterior part of eye (on which the vision is formed) can get detached. In your case the cause can be the trauma by the badminton birdie (an old trauma can cause a weak area on the retina which can give way later on) or sometimes after cataract surgery the retina can get detached. You would require immediate eye evaluation and if the retina is detached, then you would need surgery. With time the retina will detach further and the cloudiness can descend down. In fact air travel also worsens the condition due to change in pressure. If possible you should rest and avoid any strenuous work. You need eye evaluation as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Casey went to emergency - a wonderful older Dr. go him a opthomologist who got him an eye surgeon. He had surgery -detached retina today and the prognosis is good.
I am glad to be of help. Hope he recovers fast.