Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I believe Ihave blepheritis. What would the consultation cost?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

typical consultation without insurance would be somewhere around 125-200 dollars. However the treatment of blepharitis is fairly basic. I will outline it for you.

Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps losen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

i wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doc, thanks for your reply. I cannot pay you now because my credit card has been misplaced, and the number cancelled. I am waiting for the new card to arrive. Then I shall pay you. I currently have an open question with an appliance man. When I rang your bell I was just intending to see if the pricing is the same for ophtalmologsts and and appliance repair guys. I did not anticipate entering the Q&A phase. But no matter.

I have been studying blepharitis on line and believe I have the staphylococcal varity. Does that alter your suggestion for the type of antibiotic?

I live very near the US-Mexico border so I can probably pick up the ointment without a script. Thanks

No change in prescription ...good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doc., when I hit the "accept," the next window said they would deduct $9 from my bank account. Well, it won't go because the number of the debit card is cancelled. Soon as I get the new number I will update my account w/ JA and pay you. Best I can do at present. Slack
Sure thing, take care, Dr. S
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi, doque, It seems to me that feedback is important with a problem like mine. Sooo, here you go: my eyes are much improved. I read a lot and have a touch of dislectia, so they are always working hard, always being endurance tested.
I have applied hot compress daily or perhaps 2X a day. I found a tube of erthromycin I got in Argentina and used it just once on the worst eye. It helped considerably. I spoke with my sister who also has bleff (well under control). She said that flaxseed oil helped a bunch. I have considerable scepticism toward nutricion-based remedies recommended by post-menapausal women who go to church, but I tried it anyway. I take 1 tbs orally per day and topically apply 1X per day. I give the oil a lot of credit for knocking down this demon.
Oh, I think the that bleff was brought on by a bad root canal job. I got the tooth yanked but it took months before before the channal of nastiness flowing to the ocular region was cleaned up. Amocacylin(sp?) did not help much. I could feel a line of pain from the tooth , up to the cheekbone, around and up to the eye. That is gone now.
I hope you find this feedback of interest.
Capt. Slack

Thanks for the update, I am glad you are getting a bit better, Regards