Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I am quite nearsighted and for years have had a too-weak prescription.

I am quite nearsighted and for years have had a too-weak prescription. Last week my new eye doctor prescribed to me a much stronger prescription and he warned me that I would now have a problem reading or looking at things up close because of the new, stronger prescription for distance. Well, that is the case. I can now clearly see distance, which up until now was always blurry. However, with this new stronger prescription, I can no longer even wear them comfortably in my house, because they are too strong for me to even look at my reflection in the wall mirror and now printed material is blurry. The opposite of what I had experienced. I did not want to get bifocals. My questions are: (1) what do people wearing contact lenses do in my case as they obviously cannot keep popping their lenses in and out throughout the day; (2) should I buy drugstore reading glasses to use for reading and around the house? I see my doctor again in 3 weeks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello Jason

Do you know what your prescription is? Did you just get new glasses or contacts? Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Dr. Stevens. Yes, I just got new glasses today with my new prescription. The new prescription numbers are as follows:

Right Eye = -3.50 SPH; -0.50 CYL; 110 AXIS
Left Eye = -3.25 SPH; -1.25 CYL; 90 AXIS

I am now thinking that perhaps I should just use my old pair of glasses (which has the much-weaker-prescription) for reading and for around-the-house, and wear my new stronger glasses the rest of the time. Because as I stated in my original question, my old glasses have always been fine for reading and up-close. Thanks.

Hello there

drug store glasses wont work for you since you can probably read just with no glasses on at all. You can definitely use the old glasses. You can decide to go for progressive (no-line) bifocal and get around the bifocal look. You can do contacts but with that do monovision, one eye near and one eye distance, many people like this options. I hope this gives you some ideas, Dr. Stevens