Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

vision..my left eye 11-12 and right eye 7 on the scale..My eyes

Customer Question

Female 66 years old had cateracts removed in both eyes. Distance vision is very good but clse up bad I have varifocals but optician says that my left eye 11-12 and right eye 7 on the scale. My eyes are not converging but now going the other way am awaiting a consultation but am very worried what is this problem called and can it be repaired?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Can you please explain this a bit more? What exactly is happening?

My eyes are not converging but now going the other way

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dr Stevens.

According to optician when testing me with the diagonal red dots with 1 white dot my readings were as stated. My eyes are apparently still looking straight ahead or outwards just not converging so that I can read without closing one eye. Distance vision is no problem. I am also diagnosed diabetic although only treating with diet at present time.

Do the eyes move in all directions currently? are you getting any double vision looking in the distance even when you move your eyes all around??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI,

Not quite sure what you mean. I have no double vision. Eyes seem to move fine wherever I look. Just have the problem with reading, or any close work. I do have slight astigmatism in my right eye and this is the eye my optician has suggested I close or cover with a patch in order to read.

I was asking to ascertain whether or not you have a problem with an eye moving which may suggest a nerve palsy. It seems you have simple convergence insufficiency which is a benign condition where you can not bring the eyes in as much as you need to do near work, your eye doc should see you but if he confirms the diagnosis, simple adjustment of glasses can fix the issue. But you need to be checked out to make sure this is all you have, I wish you well Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very muchj

Customer/p>
You are welcome