Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

One of my eyes is slightly swollen on botXXXXX XXXXXd, itchy, with

Customer Question

One of my eyes is slightly swollen on botXXXXX XXXXXd, itchy, with yellowy /beige goup in it . What is it! Thanks Holly
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

is there a red bump anywhere in the lid? and if so, is it tender ? Is the yellow discharge actually on the surface of the eye or is it in the lid where the swelling is? How long has this been going on? Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank You Dr Stevens!

A bump on inside upper lid, which is slightly tender. No bump on eye itself. Started yesterday morning. The eye is still slightly swollen mostly on lower lid and a little goupy. Not too red. She did sleep with make-up on night before last and I think she may have got some mascarra in her eye which greatly irritated it. And the make-up used was her friends and she does not have any eye problems known.

Thanks for your help,

Hi Holly

this is one of 2 things. It is possible that there is a small amount of makeup that is in the space between the eyelid and the eyeball, under the lid essentially. I would suggest buyingsome eye wash at the local pharmacy and washing the eye out gently. A second thing comes to mind and it is an infected oil gland, which is basically a stye... I would also suggest aggressive use of heat packs applying heat for at least 3-4 mins at a time 4-5 times today. This almost always releives styes if this is indeed one of those starting to form. Antibiotics are not needed most of the time, I wish you well. Dr. Stevens