José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

An old lady friend in her 80's moved into a house in Catral.

Customer Question

An old lady friend in her 80's moved into a house in Catral. A man who lived on the same complex did some odd jobs for her and on a couple of occasions borrowed her car. On 6th October 2016 he telephoned her at 11pm asking if he could borrow the car, for which he had a key and she said yes and he has notmbeen seen since and is believed to be in England. Her Insurance Company are refusing to pay her out as she gave permission. I would have thought that his intentions at the time, if not to return the car would amount to Theft. I do not know Spanish Law. The theft has been reported to th Guardia Civil.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Catral (Alicante) Valencia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that is all apart from the fact that the Insurance cOMPANY HAVE THE KEYS TO THE CAR.
Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 5 months ago.

Hi;

José M spanish atorney

According to spanish law, you have no responsability over the car once you put the denounce at the Police and you do not have to have an insurance

Its not matter she borrow the car at first, the matter is that he never give her back

So, the denounce is the best and easiest way to solve the problem

Ask if you need more help

Thank you