EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

Can I sue a webshop when I have not received the product?

Customer Question

Can I sue a webshop when I have not received the product? How to sue them?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

In what US state is the company? How and when did you pay for their product? How much money did you pay them? What, if anything, have you tried to do to get the product or a refund?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Company is in Belgium and I pay for one order 15 dollar and for other order 30 dollars.
After 4 weeks I still not received the product, I send them a email, but they did not respond.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 days ago.

Thank you. This is a US law category, and your question said this happened in the US. As it happened in Belgium, I am going to opt out of the question and have it moved to our European law category, where a European expert can pick it up.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm from the US
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 days ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry for your situation. The short answer is yes, you may sue them. The big question is where and how. You have in fact two options: either in the US, where you would have to have an attorney, because private international law matters (such as yours) are always quite complicated. You would have to serve the summons on them in Belgium, via an international convention applied by the US court. Or, you could sue directly in Belgium as well, in the local court of their headquarters. Also in this case, you would need a local, Belgian, attorney, because all the claims must be done in French or Dutch, as the case may be (depending on where they are located). It is highly unlikely for a private person to undertake a private international law trial by themselves.

The advantage of suing them in the US would be that the costs would probably be lower, and there would not be a language bar to you. The disadvantage is that the US decision, supposing it will be in your favor, then has to be recognized in Belgium, which means another trial. Suing them in Belgium would avoid the need for a second trial, but would probably be more expensive. Here is a list of English-speaking lawyers in Belgium, for your convenience:

However, I have to say very clearly, for 45 dollars, there is no point in suing. Wherever you start, the costs of taking even the first step are several times higher than the benefit! My personal advice would be to try other means, for example:

- making a claim on your credit card, showing that the items did not arrive;

- trying to find an out of court resolution through the very new European SOL (online alternative dispute resolution service), available here:

I know this might not be a very positive news, but it is more important that you know what your options are and what you would be getting into. I look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Dr I L Vlad