EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

What is the way to cancel a pending marriage application,

Customer Question

What is the way to cancel a pending marriage application
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Belguim
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Basically the truth is one of my friend has forged signed my name on a document to bring her brother over to europe. I suffer from mental health. When i disagreed she got help she needed froged my sign and sent papers to embassy
JA: I'm trying to find the right Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: As far as i know
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question.

The answer is that you have two options:

1. Write a letter to the Belgian embassy where she deposed the documents, entitled "Opposition to Marriage", in which you should say as follows:

-> your and her name and identification details (birth date, address);

-> the fact that she submitted documents in order to make a marriage application;

-> the fact that you consider one of the documents to have been forged;

-> the fact that the marriage application would have been a "mariage blanc" which means a marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining a residence permit in Belgium;

-> the fact that in any case you declare your opposition to being married to this person;

-> your name, date, signature and, if you wish to be extra-safe, the name of a witness who can attest to the truth of your letter.

2. Besides this, simply absenting yourself from any marriage preparations / ceremony will suffice for the marriage not to be completed. One cannot get married without being present.

In any case, a letter as above will guarantee that the civil status officer will deny her application.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad