How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 218
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your European Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I 't really know if this is the place to ask this question,

Customer Question

I don't really know if this is the place to ask this question, but i'll try anyway.
I'm an Australian citizen, all my family members are Australian, but i really want to move to Denmark. I've just read an article saying that the danish government is looking at getting rid of their Greencard scheme, which would seemingly only leave 3 options available fore immigration there. The problem being, i don't think i am capable of or can meet the criteria of the other schemes (The Corporate Residence Permit Scheme, Positive List and Pay Limit Scheme) Considering i'm a filmmaker and don't belong to an in demand occupation.
I'm basically looking for advice on alternative options, and am not too sure where i should go. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 7 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I believe your wish is not without a solution, with a bit of creative thinking.

Here are my ideas (from the practical to the audacious):

1. There is a scheme according to which you may be granted a work and residence permit if you are an artist. Filmmakers qualify (the definition is large enough). If you find a Danish company which wants you for a movie, or a long-term collaboration, you can get that permit, which opens the way to permanent residence after 6 or 4 years (shorter if you learn and give a Danish exam, are employed on a high income and pass an active citizen exam). Details here.

2. If you pursue a Master's or a PhD in Denmark, and can support yourself during it, you can get a 2 year card, which can then be extended under one of the other rules, including finding a job there. Details here. The subject matter does not count.

3. You can apply for a Start-up Denmark visa, if you have an innovative initiative, and the funds to pursue it. Details here.

4. You could marry a Danish person and remain there on family reunion.

5. You should consider settling in any other EU country first. Once you have permanent residence in any EU country, you can settle in Denmark freely, exercising your EU rights of free movement, employment etc. I cannot possibly list every country in the EU's entry arrangements. Some are based on investment, some on employment, some even allow it based on doing nothing while supporting yourself out of private funds. Given the amount you have put forward, I would gladly check for 1-2 countries. Please don't say UK. They just voted for Brexit and it is likely residence there would not count. I could suggest Romania, because it falls in the 'any reason while you pay your way' camp, and I personally know the bureaucracy there. But it's an unfamiliar language, and you wouldn't find much gainful work there, or for reasonable salaries.

Do think about it, and tell me if you have further questions.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad