EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

My husbands mom died and he inherits with his sister. But my

Customer Question

My husbands mom died and he inherits with his sister. But my husband died the week after. Who inherits his share. Me his wife?
Category: European Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My husbands mother died last saturday, He called his sister and she told him there was a will written and that they should inherit their mom equally 50-50. Then my husband died the wednesday after, Now when I his wife speaks to her she does not mention the will or the money. Who inherits my husband? and how long does it take before I get the money. The money is in California and I /we live in Sweden.?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
remember that I could not type my phonenr correctly since I live in Sweden. Its ***********
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Madam,
I am very sorry for your situation. Please receive my condoleances.
Legally speaking, there are two different successions (estate processes) namely one for your mother in law, and the other for your husband. Your mother in law is inherited by her descendants living at the time of her death, which are from your question her two children, unless otherwise is provided for in her Will. Now, the amount that she can leave to whomever she chooses, the process of probate (certifying the will and passing on the money) is governed by her own estate law. This depends on where she lived. If she lived in California, then it's California law (each US state has its own estate law), and as an European law expert I cannot answer this.
The other estate procedure is for your husband, whom according to Swedish law you inherit, including in his inheritance any estate he had the right to, but did not manage to claim yet.
In other words, and to sum up, you are entitled to 'represent' your husband (I assume you do not have children, otherwise they would be entitled as well) to claim his share of his mother's estate, as the legal successor to him. The exact amount, interpretation of the will of his mother and time it takes for the money to arrive are questions of California law, which I may not answer.
I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.
Cordially,
Dr I L Vlad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT WHAT CALIF. LAW SAYS,? THE MOTHERS WILL SAID 50-50 TO HIM AND HIS SISTER. SO THERE IS NO DOUBT THERE. AND I INHERIT MY HUSBAND.
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
To find out California estate law, just make a new question on Just Answer in the US law category. The experts here are attorneys qualified for only one jurisdiction. I am for the European Union, my colleagues in that section for various US states. They will certainly help.Please tell me if I can be of further assistance. Otherwise, please do not forget to rate my answer, as it is essential to my activity, and I should add that other experts may see any unrated answers, which will prevent them from answering new questions.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad