EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

My wife and I are thinking of buying a vacation home in Italy.....we

Customer Question

My wife and I are thinking of buying a vacation home in Italy.....we plan on staying from June 1st to November 1st......both my grandparents are Italian immigrants.....can I get an Italian passport and or citizenship.....would there be an advantage to having them given our intention of buying a home in Tuscany.
Vince Maglio
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Sir,Thank you for your question. The fact of having a home in Italy and having Italian grandparents would help you get Italian citizenship, but only by actually residing in Italy. This means that you have to have a certificate of history of residence in Italy, which in practice involves constantly going to your local town hall to get periodical stamps on it, proving you are in Italy. Also, you need to register for tax and submit tax returns as a resident.The advantage is that, for persons with Italian ancestors up to the 2nd degree, the normal term of residence in Italy, to acquire citizenship, is reduced from 10 years to 3 years. The other requirements for citizenship by residence are the same as for everyone. They can be found on the official page here: (check point 3. Naturalization).Based on this, I can say there is an advantage in explaining your intentions, because if you discuss at the town hall where your house is based, you will be able to register as a resident from the moment you buy it (or even before, if you go and rent something while searching for a house), thus counting every day into the 3 year term.I hope my answer was useful and look forward to receiving your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The question of having a passport was not answered nor was there any response to the advantages and/or disadvantages
I believe the response was incomplete
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Sir,I am sorry not to have been clear enough. Citizenship equals the right to obtain an Italian passport. Therefore, you can obtain an Italian passport after 3 years of residence in Italy. Regarding the advantage of having an Italian passport before buying a home, there would be no advantage. On the contrary, having a home and residence in Italy is a prerequisite to having the passport. Furthermore, as an US citizen, there is little that you cannot do in Italy just with your US passport (voting is basically the most important thing off-limits).I hope this completes my answer and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad