EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

I am syrian refugee living in European Union , i wanna know

Customer Question

i am syrian refugee living in European Union , i wanna know does the
sanctions imposed by OFAC (the US government's Office of Foreign Assets Control)
apply on me yes iam from syria but i am also a refugee in EU (Romania) ,i have an ID written Refugee ,
and i have Travel document(passport) written on the passport ‎" Convention 28 July 1951 "
i am asking if the sanctions imposed by OFAC apply on me ,because i am finding trouble open a bank accounts coz i am syrian
and recentrly i have decide to open an account for business traiding money from this site i have recived this e mail:
Following your request for the documents verification, we would like to inform you that due to certain sanctions imposed by OFAC (the US government's Office of Foreign Assets Control), AAAFX currently is not able to verify accounts registered by nationals of the following countries:
Burma (Myanmar)
North Korea
Therefore we would like to inform you that your deposit is in the process of being refunded back to your credit card. A further update will be provided tomorrow to confirm the status of the transaction.
is there any legal documents i can give to them so they can label the refugee have the same right like the EU citizens coz iam refugee in
one of them ?
Submitted: 6 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Sir,I am sorry I cannot answer your question due to regulatory issues. In Romania, where I also work as an attorney, it may be illegal to give advice on sanctions issues outside of an attorney-client relationship, which is not created through this answer or generally on JustAnswer.Therefore, I would suggest contacting either an attorney on the ground in Romania, as well as the following authorities:-> (the national office for money laundering prevention); and-> (the financial supervision authority).These are the main institutions which may offer direct answers in relation to the application of sanctions to monetary transactions.Please feel free not to rate this answer.