EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

Further to our recent query & your answers re. Portuguese

Customer Question

Hello Sir, Further to our recent query & your answers re. Portuguese law & inheritance issues: 3 sisters involved, of course. Parents gave one sister their flat in Portugal by transfer to her name 3 years ago valued at least €100K, the 2nd sister was given 2 properties (1 transferred to her name the other bought in her name) in the UK within the last 10 years their value now is well over £1million. The parents had wanted to transfer their Lisbon flat to my wife's name in recent few years but for some reason didn't manage to do it and the father died a few months ago. Lisbon flat is probably worth around €100K. Mother lives in Lisbon & my wife in UK (with me) her 2 sisters also live in the UK.
1) So when the mother passes away in the future will the Portuguese law take into account the 2 properties gifted to 2nd sister in the UK that are worth over £1million? can it be contested?
2) If one of the sisters (with the 2 properties in UK worth >£1million) dies (she is diagnosed with terminal illness & given 1-2 years to live) before the mother does & her 4 adult children inherit the 2 properties how would that complicate this inheritance issue from Portuguese perspective in law?
Finally, just to say that the parents had lived in the UK until retirement when they moved back to Portugal about 10 years ago & have dual nationalities Portuguese & UK.
Many thanks
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry for your waiting period. I was away during this time.

I would gladly answer your questions, but given their very high complexity (involving UK and Portuguese law and specific issues within those systems), the question is way under priced. If you are still interested in an answer, please accept the Offer of Additional Service (by clicking in the message you will receive) and then I will act as soon as possible with the answers.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear Sir, I use justanswer for the very good value it offers & while I appreciate your offer of the extra service, I would respectfully ***** *****
In order to simplify my question all I need to know at this stage is this:
In the event of the mother's death, will Portuguese law take into account the property gift given to the 3rd sister in the UK (as well as those already given to the other 1 or 2 sisters in Portugal). Look forward...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear Sir, please LMK if you will answer my query posted here yesterday at your earliest convenience.
Expert:  EULawyer replied 10 months ago.

Dear Sir,

I am sorry for the delay. The summary question you have asked is essentially the crux of the matter.

I cannot give a straight, short answer to it, as the interplay between the UK and Portuguese / EU law needs to be studied carefully, when such gifts are involved.

Please understand my position and the fact that I do not wish to send you away with a short answer which might not be valid or informative.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I will re-post that Q. in justanswer so that hopefully another lawyer will be able to answer. Please ignore the Q. if you see it so that another expert will pick it up. With best wishes.