EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

I am from south africa, and am currently living in Israel, i

Customer Question

I am from south africa, and am currently living in Israel, i left South Africa because i was fed up with being robbed and almost killed a number of times, the problem is that the South African passport is very limited and i can only visit very few countries,
i belive that my life is in dnager if i return to South Africa, there are an average of 55 murders a day, and it is rated one of the most dangerous places in the world, I am of European decent but my parents have no connections to overseas, my grandmother
was able to qualify as a UK citizen however she passed away and I am no longer entitled to any rights in any other country, can i apply as a refugee as South Africa is extremely dangerous and it is not fair that i have to be stuck in the world with such a
terrible passport, i want to go to Europe but i cannot not without showing that i am economically active, the problem is that i am not? what are my options, i don't want to return where can i go? and can i get refugee status?
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry for your situation. The problem is that asylum is only granted to persons who are on the territory of the state where they request it. You cannot request asylum from outside of any EU-member state, for example. Furthermore, the asylum is granted only if you cannot be returned safely to your country of origin. However, the country of origin, in your case, would not be South Africa, but Israel, which is considered usually a 'safe country' - i.e., as long as you can be returned to Israel legally you cannot get asylum somewhere else.

I also cannot advise on ilegally entering any country to ask for asylum.

However, there might be good news for you. Some EU countries and Switzerland offer Humanitarian Visas, which are a legal way of entering, and can be extended gradually, up to full residence rights. I did not wish to make you go through bundles of legal speak so I am sending you one link which contains all the countries which issue these visas now. Look for 'Annex 1' and jump directly there, ignoring the rest. You can then search for the specific country, or ask a new question here. The link is http://free-group.eu/2015/09/18/humanitarian-visas-an-eu-tool-for-a-safe-access-to-the-eu-territory/

I hope this helps you and that you can manage to fulfil the criteria of those visas.

I look forward to your rating.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok actually I was temporarily staying in Israel, but am from South Africa, is South Africa considered unsafe?
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Normally no, South Africa is actually considered a very safe country. There are exceptions, for example for groups considered marginalized, like immigrants from Zimbabwe, or for religious, sexual or other reasons. But as a whole, it is considered safe.