EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

I have had a fraud charge made against me (unjust) by

Customer Question

Hello, I have had a fraud charge made against me (unjust) by a customer who has paid and taken goods then made a false claim. I believe this has caused santander to block my accout. What will happen when i go into the branch tomorrow?
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am very sorry for your situation. For tomorrow, you may consider taking the following steps which are to see whether you can make the situation good and establish a dialogue with your bank and with the credit card company which your customer used:1. Check with your bank whether the fraud charge was actually the reason for the account blocking. It may be that it was just coincidentally at the same time as the block, and that happened for another reason.2. If the block was indeed the reason, you should request more information about the transaction, and whether the block was requested for either of the following reasons:-> violation of your current account or business terms of service (i.e. the contract between you and the bank). If that is the case, you should dispute that in writing, first with the bank, and then, with the help of a solicitor, in court. I am however sure that until that point is reached, Santander, if it values your business, will explain what the problem was and how you can redress it;-> requested by the credit card company (used by the customer). If that is the case, then you should contact the merchant support service of the card company (respectively Visa, MasterCard, American Express - UK offices), or even better the customer's bank if you can deduce it from the information on your account history, and inquire for extra information. The point is that any kind of charge-back should first be preceded by a 'request for extra information' sent to you by the credit card company, in order to give you the opportunity to clarify / dispute what the customer says. Nevertheless, if you did not get such a request, you can initiate the dispute process yourself;-> violation of some laws or regulations regarding business transactions. If this is the case, it is the bank's duty to inform you of what the law you violated was. You can then appreciate if that is true, and what you can do about it.In any case, I believe you should ask to speak with a business specialist at the bank, who has experience with business customers, not just the 'universal clerk', and be ready to spend some time making written / e-mail inquiries with the relevant parties. Also, you should keep, present and have at hand any proof you have of the customer being satisfied (such as any signed receipts, photos of them leaving with the merchandise etc.).I hope this gives you an idea of what you are up against and that you will find it useful.Please do not forget to rate my answer.Cordially,Dr Ioan-Luca Vlad