Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Woman in Philippines lied about tubes tied. Claiming

Customer Question

woman in Philippines lied about tubes tied. Claiming pregnancy. Got an abortion. Not sure what is true or not. I am American but live in Singapore. If she is lying and didn't get an abortion and is still pregnant, what can she do to me?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Are you asking if she can file for child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What protection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What protection Do I have:
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

She cannot simply say you are the Father. She can file for the child support, but if you are not on the birth certificate, you can oppose it by requesting a Court Ordered Paternity Test. If the test comes up negative to you being the biological Father, then you cannot be mandated to child support.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Of course, if the test comes back positive, then a court will order you pay child support. It does not matter that she said she aborted the baby. You cannot force anyone to have or not to have an abortion.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, there is nothing you can do in regard to her saying she could not become pregnant. Of course, it works both ways and so it is also up to us to take precautions to try to stop conception. And in that regard, a court would not find her breaking any laws because she lied to you by saying she was not able to conceive. The court would hold you just as accountable for the baby

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is in Philippines and I am in Singapore. What would be her steps to do this?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. She would need to petition the court in the Philippines to have the Paternity test, then have you served with that in Singapore. And to do that, that court order would need to be registered with the court in Singapore. If you are indeed properly served, then you would need to comply.