José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I have a question about divorce in Denmark. We got

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about divorce in Denmark.
We got married in Denmark. I am Canadian and my partner is a German resident. I would like to get divored in Denmark, is it possible eventhough we do not live there, but we got married there?
Thank you very much for your assistance and help.
Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
According to international law the chance to manage in Denmark could be only possible in case you two agree and accept to do it this way.
In case one of you reject to do the divorce agrement you could not manage there
So you need to contact a local atorney, make the divorce agrement with your partner and present it at court
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you clarify your answer, please. My question was if we both agree to divorce, but we don't live in Denmark, could we get divorce there. Do Denmark has a residence requirement to file for divorce? We are both mutually agreeing to divorce. Thank you very much
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
International law says that the law to be applied is the place of residence or the place you agree to use
Once you agree to use it you could use it, because you two want to use it
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank yo very much for your response. So regardless of our citizenship and place of residence, we could petition for a divorce, in Denmark, the place we got married? We are not Danish citizens and we don't reside in Denmark. The reason I am asking again is that I got contradictory answers, one lawyer is telling me I cannot file for divorce because I am not a citizen of Denmark and I don't reside there. Could you please, double check the divorce laws in terms of residence and citizenship requirement in Denmark! Thank you so much. Sincerely, ***** ***** again for all your help and assistance.
Sincerely, cha
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
According to international law the law to manage is the residence of the couple, the one of them, and the law then want to use if they agree with that
So, if you two agree you should can use it
Thank you