A.Valcke
A.Valcke, Solicitor
Experience:  14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law

Dear Valcke,I am an EU citizen (Italy), who has recently

Dear Valcke,

I am an EU citizen (Italy), who has recently graduated from medical school outside EEA (in Brazil), in 2013. I intend to apply for the academic foundation programme 2015, whose elegibility process opens by August 2014. According to the FP site, I do not need to take PLAB.

The reason why I am writting you is that my wife, who is also a doctor (she was my colleague in Brazil) intends to apply with me, we want to match our applications for AFP (F2 doctors).
There is the reference for the "exemption person", and I would like to consult you if her case matches this profile.

She is not an EEA citizen (she is brazilian), and she will move to UK because she is married with an EEA citizen that will be studying in UK.

Could you please answer these 3 items?

a) for how long (if there is any specification) should we be married to fit this situation, according to the GMC; (we will officialize our marriage this December - 2013).

b) if I am in an "attache" (visiting doctor, international attache), in a hospital in UK during the next year, I would be considered or not as "student", besides there is no salary for this activity, and the fact that I will be using the hospital accommodations.

c) If the answer for item b) is no, what are the other activities I could join to match the definition of "EEA student in UK for more than 3 months".

Hope to hear from you, thank you so much for helping me out.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 9 months ago.

I have let A.Valcke know that your question is waiting. If I can be of further assistance let me know.

Expert:  A.Valcke replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question.

I apologise for the delay in responding, but I am currently travelling and do not have regular access to the internet.

In order to answer your question, I need further information from you:

1. please could you confirm that you and your wife are both registered as doctors in Brazil and have completed your internships?

2. please could you confirm from which university you and your wife hold your qualification?

3. please could you confirm whether you or your wife have worked as a doctor in another EU country? If so where and for how long?

4. what will be your role as a visiting doctor/international attache? Will you be studying? If so is the institution where you will study a university hospital?

5. Will you be provided with accommodation free of charge by the hospital?

6. why do you want to be considered as an EEA student? Would you be content with the status of EEA worker?

I look forward to your response.

What would be your role
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Dear Valcke, thank you for your quick reply.

Responding to your questions:

Yes, since we have a 6-year graduation at medical school in Brazil, with 2 years of internship, I believe that we are able to skip at least the F1, and start as F2 doctors in the Foundation Programme. We can provide such documentation to the UKFPO (Eligibility Office).

Yes, we have recently graduated in the Federal University of Santa Maria (2013).

No, we haven`t worked in any EU country yet.

During an attache, I get involved with the ward activities, which include preparing audits to improve the quality of care, take part in multidisciplinary team meetings, giving lectures to medical students eventually, and shadowing the consultants.

It may be possible to me to get an attache period at an university hospital, but it would be easier in other NHS specialized centre (for example, LHCH in Liverpool) where I know some of the staff already. However that is not an university institution, the specialties registrars from merseyside rotate through the hospital as well.

No, the hospital charges monthly for their accommodation, which is very close to the hospital complex. However, I am free to rent any other place to stay if I want.

PS: We are also able to provide financial self-sufficiency, once we will still have our salaries in Brazil until our applications (by October 2014).

Actually, what me and my wife want is to be able to apply for the academic foundation programme next year, and to match our applications after confirming that we are eligible to apply. We carry the "full" license in Brazil, i.e., we can work in both public or private initiative here. However, we intend to keep studying in UK (as F2, and than join trainee/registrar programmes), so I am not sure which license we would need for now.

7. By the eligibility period (usually between July and August 2014), we will have been officially married for around 7 months. However, we could provide documentation of a stable relationship since 2008.

8. If you can, please refer about the possibility of my wife being an exemption person, and how we should proceed in this context. By doing that, we will only have to take the SJTs (we have the IELTS certificate already), and she will skip the PLABs examinations. This a crucial information for our future decision.

Thank you for helping us,

Giordano.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Responding to your questions:

Thank you for helping us,

Giordano.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Other.
There was no option for me to rate the good answer of A. Valcke. I would like to rate with the best grade possible.
However, his answer is based in more questions to me, and I cannot manage to reply him because of this rating issue.
Please, forward this:

Responding to your questions:

No, we haven't worked in any EU country yet.

Thank you for helping us,
Giordano.
Expert:  A.Valcke replied 9 months ago.
Dear Sir,

From what you've said it looks like both you and your wife should be able to be considered as exempt persons for GMC registration purposes. Since your university features on the Avicenna Directory, the GMC should recognise your primary overseas qualification: http://avicenna.ku.dk/database/medicine/

You should contact Your Europe Advice to obtain authoritative confirmation of your right to register as an exempt person. You can then include it with your application to the GMC. You should send an enquiry with your original question as well as your answers to my questions.

Their website is:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/advice/enquiry_en.htm

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards
A.Valcke, Solicitor
Experience: 14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law